This spring, I (Josh) had a chance to travel to Katito, Kenya to visit the child we sponsor through World Vision and also to meet some friends we have made through our partnership there. We got to celebrate the work being done there and see how God is using these relationships to empower the community. This connection with the folks in the Nyakach district has become a source of life and encouragement for myself, my family, and my church.
I have discovered that when I say yes to God and live out of compassion empowered by his Spirit, my service to the people in my life is rewarded with a fresh experience of His presence and that these relationships become a well of life. As much as my community needs my humble service, even more do I need these opportunities to be a servant.
I had seen hundreds of commercials and posters regarding the needs in Africa but it was not until I saw pictures of my friends there, side by side with the people of Katito that my heart was captured. God used my community to connect me to their community. They belong to my family in a real way because God brought them into my life. And now I pray that God has used my trip to connect them to you.
We visited a group of women farmers who have each adopted at least one child orphaned by AIDS. Before, they were "plowing" their fields with hand tools but through World Vision and our gifts they were given a few cattle and a plow. This is much more efficient so they grow more food and are able to spend more time with the children.

We also were able to meet the children we sponsor and take them a few
gifts. This is Akinyi Esther Olilo and her mother. I showed them pictures of Kristy and Emma and they told me about their business selling tomatoes and fish. Writing her and receiving letters has been amazing but it is even
more meaningful after meeting her and her mother in person. I feel so much more connected to the people and the work.
We also got to play soccer (football) with all the sponsored children. We laughed and laughed. I smiled so much my cheeks were sore when we left.
I would love it if you would join us on this journey. You can be a great blessing to my friends and I think you will find that you will be blessed just as much or more as you continue to say "yes" to God and his mission in the world. One of the ways I am continuing to advocate for my friends is by running a half marathon in October. You can join in the story by donating here.


No comments:
Post a Comment